Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Fames in Final Form / Chainplates Planned

All of Mist’s frames are installed, filleted with epoxy, and taped with 9 oz S-Glass.  The next step is to glue in the bunk supports into the bottom of the hull.  Bunk supports are installed between frames 53 and 169. These serve two functions; they are bunk support, and they’re hull bottom stringers.  I’m choosing to have large lightening holes in the supports to allow air to move through to assist drying any water that may enter the boat.  I'll have photos of the bunk supports on the next update.  The photo below shows the boat with all frames installed.




I finished designing the chain plates for Mist but have yet to assemble them.  I spoke with Colligo Marine to determine 5mm Dynex Dux is adequate synthetic rigging for the i550.  After determining the breaking strength of this Dynex Dux,  I used 'The Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction' book Chapter 14 'Hardware Bounding' as a guide I determined the minimum length of G-10 tubing needed to support the mast's loads.  Four inches of 3/4"D G-10 tubing epoxyed into the stem and hull sides is a conservative length hold.  The Dynex Dux will pass through the center of the tubing and will terminate with a large stop knot.  I was hoping to be further along with assembly.  Suppose I've been over optimistic!  I'll keep working at it.


No comments:

Post a Comment