Monday, January 3, 2011

Template and Cut

I purchased a license to build i550 hull number 296, plans, and Tyvek templates from Watershed Sailboats for $240.00. I decided to use the templates instead of purchasing the kit for two reasons. I can't stand the thought of spending money on shipping to receive the twenty sheet plywood kit, and I want to make minor changes to the cockpit.  As designed the cockpit has sharp edges. I feel the sharp corners are stress risers and uncomfortable to sit on. I choose to build the hull of okoume plywood. Twenty, 1/4"thick, 5-ply sheets are required. Above, I'm laying out the templates on the plywood and tracing the edges. The living room is a comfortable place to work! Once the plywood is marked I cut the panels out using a jig saw, then final shaped them with them with a hand plane and sanding block.

No comments:

Post a Comment